Monday, March 20, 2006

Free Edwardian Braided Updo Hairstyle Instructions


After watching the Masterpiece Theater version of Pollyanna, which is set in the early 1910s, I wanted to create a hairstyle similar to the ones in the movie. I experimented until I came up with this style, which works even on my very straight, flyaway hair. Once you master rolling your hair back smoothly, this is a fairly easy but very elegant hairstyle. I can do it on myself in about five minutes, and it has become a staple style in my hairdressing repertoire!


You will need:
Hair brush
Two metal barrettes
Assorted hairpins
Hair tie
Flowers or other decoration


Part your hair down the middle or to the side. Starting above the ear, roll one side of your hair back and secure it at the back of your head with a barrette.


Roll the other side back and secure it with a barrette. The barrettes may be on top of eachother; that’s fine. Smooth out your hair if it has any lumpy places.


Braid your hair as far as you can; secure it with a hair tie, preferably one similar to your hair color. Secure the flowers in your hair with a hair pin.


Fold your braid upwards and curl it around into a bun, tucking the hair tie under the braid, and covering up the flower stems. I usually use five hairpins: one on each corner and one at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment