Friday, June 13, 2008

Fashion [re]Model: Dress to Skirt

Here is one of my latest sewing projects: a 25-cent thrift store dress that has been remodeled to become one of my very favorite skirts! With so many colors in the floral print, it can be matched with almost every shirt in my closet!

First I ripped out the sleeves and shoulder seams. I tried it on and pinned the side seams before I cut the extra material off. Below is a diagram showing the approximate cutting lines:
The dress had a short zipper in the center back. I ripped it out and moved it down to line up with the new waistline, and finished the waistline with a simple, narrow hem that won't add bulk.

So there it is: the best quarter I've spent in a long time!

Be sure to visit the Biblical Womanhood blog for more Frugal Friday ideas!

1 comment:

  1. THIS IS SO SMART! FANTASTIC!! If you ever do a more detailed post with step by step, like a tutorial, I would LOVE to see it! :D Is your blog on Facebook? I did not see a FB link, but I might have missed it. Would LOVE to fan your page if you are!! :D

    ReplyDelete